We welcome you to the start of an exciting new year with Gorzycki Middle School and look forward to working with you to create the best learning environment for your child! You are the first and most important teacher in your child's life, and as such, we believe a partnership with you is critical to help the campus and your child's day run as smoothly and productively as possible. Therefore, we are requesting your support on the campus routines listed below.
Punctuality is a very important part of the school day, and arriving at school either too early or late can impact a student's day. Our Middle School day officially starts at 8:10 a.m. with dismissal beginning at 3:30 p.m. Late arrivals and early pick-ups affect instruction time for all students and staff. Anything you can do to help prevent these class time interruptions would be greatly appreciated.
- Early arrival: no earlier than 7:45 a.m. This is a safety issue governed by staff work schedules.
- Walkers & car-riders: We encourage students to ride the bus when possible as the drive-thru area and parking lot have limited capacity. Students will report to assigned areas before school for staff supervision.
- Dropping off your child: Please use the drop-off zone at the school's front doors (more information below). Staff members will supervise walkers & car riders into the school.
- Walking child in: please park in the lot away from the drop-off zone at the front of the school if you wish to walk your child into the building.
- Handicapped parking: Parking in Handicapped spaces is allowed with permit.
- Late arrival: Tardy bell rings at 8:10 a.m.
Car riders: 3:30 p.m.
Bus Riders: 3:30-3:40 p.m. departure
Walkers/Bicyclers: 3:30 p.m.
- Pick up location: front of the school by the awning. We have outlined specific traffic procedures for student pick-up due to the high volume of cars at the circle drive and our concern for safety (see below).
- Early pick-up: To pick up students for medical appointments or other reasons, we need you to sign student out in the school office. Please try to schedule your student's appointments outside of school hours to maximize instructional time and minimize classroom interruptions. Please park in a parking space (not along the front curb when picking up children during the school day. This curb area is a fire lane and is for immediate drop-off and afternoon car-loading only.
- Pick-up changes = written notice: If you change your child's afternoon pick-up arrangements, for safety reasons please send a written notice with your child. You or your child should deliver this notice to the office immediately upon arrival.
Visits during school time
- Breakfast (7:45 - 8:10 a.m.): You are welcome to join your child for breakfast. Please stop by the office to sign in and to obtain a visitor's pass. Please do not follow your child to the classroom after breakfast as instruction should immediately commence.
- Lunch: You are welcome to join your child during his/her scheduled lunch; please sign in at office.
Please see below for further information concerning arrival and dismissal procedures. We look forward to working with you to make this year an exciting and successful learning experience for our youngsters. If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to call us at (512) 841-8600.
Procedure for Car Riders
Please be advised that the speed limit on Slaughter has been reduced to 35 miles an hour in front of the school during arrival and dismissal times.
All car traffic will be routed to the circle drive at the front of the school. This drive is designated as a "One Way" access. Vehicles will enter the circle drive by way of the most easterly access point on Slaughter (First entrance traveling westbound from Barstow.)
Do not enter the premises from the second drive as this is for exiting traffic only.
During morning arrival, cars may pull up to the front of the school in single file along the inside lane closest to the sidewalk. Cones will be in place to funnel traffic into a single line.
Please do not park or leave your vehicle unattended in this lane. Should you need to come into the building please park in the designated spaces out front.
During friendly weather we ask that you pull forward past the awning before stopping to allow your children to exit the vehicle. Please be cautious when pulling away from the curb. Students (and adults) occasionally forget themselves and venture out in front of vehicles without looking, putting themselves at risk for injury. Being mindful of your surroundings and driving defensively will help us to minimize safety risks.
Gorzycki Middle School, in cooperation with District and City Officials, is making a concerted effort to address traffic safety concerns during afternoon pickup. With this aim in mind we will be making several adjustments to our dismissal/pick up procedures.
See below for a video of our new pick up procedure.
Ultimately, our goal is to pull traffic off Slaughter Lane and shorten wait times while maintaining safety for students, parents and staff.
As of November 28, 2011 the following changes will be in effect:
- Traffic will be divided into 3 lanes in front of the school allowing for at least 30 vehicles to load at once
- A security monitor will be present at the intersection at the top of the parking lot to direct flow into these lanes
- Students will have approximately 7 minutes from the time of dismissal to find their vehicles before the first wave of vehicles will be released
- Subsequent waves will be dismissed within increments of a few minutes
- Anyone who does not have their child by the time vehicles are released will need to exit the premises onto Slaughter Lane with the other vehicles, circle back around and re-enter the line
- As the volume of traffic winds down we will revert back to the two-lane, come and go procedure that we have used up to this point
- Parents who have previously parked in the lot out front to pick up students at dismissal will no longer have access to the road leading up the hill and around the back of the school- (gate locked). Nor will they be able to exit down the center lane of the circle drive as it will be occupied by vehicles. The parking lot will still be accessible to visitors needing to enter the building on school business
- District personnel and local law enforcement will be on hand to assist the school with implementation of these procedures
- Vehicle access to the back of the school is prohibited between the hours of 7:45am and 3:45pm. This area is intended for staff and bus use only.
- Drop off or pick up along the curb on Slaughter Lane is also prohibited.
As with the implementation of any system, we anticipate having to make some adjustments. Your patience and cooperation during this time is greatly appreciated as we work together to make our school a safe environment for everyone.